Proboscis Monkey Fireflies Tour
Our Proboscis Monkey Fireflies Tour takes place near to a town called Kota Belud. Located in the northern region of Sabah, Borneo, this town has distinctive characteristics about it that are vibrant, colourful and special – making it an exciting holiday destination for all.
The tour allows you to get to know more about the local community, enjoy cultural activities, hear traditional music, try out local cuisine and of course the highlight of the trip – spot proboscis monkeys up close and see fireflies lighting up the mangroves!
Being able to watch these wonderfully strange looking primates in the Proboscis Monkey Fireflies tour at their natural habitat within the mangroves is a truly amazing experience. Additionally there is also the possibility of seeing many other species of mangrove inhabitants. Kingfishers, macaques, water monitor lizards, water buffalo and many others that inhabit the region.
Included in this great value trip is a delicious Malaysian-style buffet dinner overlooking the Tempasuk River at Tamau Village. After dinner guests will be transferred to another river. The Nanamun River in Nanamun Village allows you to experience the fabulous natural light show of the fireflies as they light up when darkness falls.
Your Safety is Our Priority
Our expert guides are all trained in first aid and we carry comprehensive first aid kits for participants of this program.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 14:00 – Depart from Kota Kinabalu for Kota Belud, two hours overland to the northern part of Sabah
- 16:00 – Arrive at Kota Belud Tamau Jetty, refreshments will be served
- 16:30 – River Cruise to search for Proboscis Monkey in the wild
- 17:30 – Return to the jetty and indulge in a hearty local dinner overlooking Tempasuk River
- 18:00 – Get ready for the land transfer to Nanamun Village and River. As darkness sets in, board the boat at the jetty and cruise out to witness the nature’s display of Christmas lights – the Fireflies.
- 19:30 – After the cultural pyrotechnic show, return to the jetty and ready to depart for Kota Kinabalu
- 21:00-21:30 – Estimated time of arrival in Kota Kinabalu
If you have young children do bear in mind the 2 hour per way road transfers. This may not be suitable for young children. Trip duration is 1400hrs – 2130hrs.
Hotel transfers (KK City), Entrance and Conservation Fees, English Speaking Guide, Light Refreshments, and a Local Dinner.
Items not explicitly stated
Camera, Insect Repellent, Sunscreen, Extra Clothes, Towel, Sunglasses, Bottled Mineral Water, Personal Medicines, Waterproof Bag and Raincoat