Mahua Waterfall Tambunan
The journey to the outskirts of Kota Kinabalu to Mahua Waterfall Tambunan takes you to various regional hot-spots as you drive through the idyllic countryside, small villages and up the mountainous Crocker Range. First stop is at the Kipandi Butterfly Farm, home to hundreds of species of butterflies and an Insect Museum with 500 butterflies and 3000 beetles as their exhibit. Its Orchid Orchard and Nursery grows over 500 species of native Orchids which flourish well in the national park. Then guests will be stopping over at local restaurant close to Gunung Alab for a sumptuous Local Lunch.
You will also visit the Tambunan Rafflesia Conservation Centre, with enough plots and documented flower buds to increase your chances of viewing the Rafflesia (largest flower in the world!) in bloom. Get an educational experience of this rare and strange flower as well at their exhibition centre.
End your visit at one of the most accessible falls in Sabah called Mahua Waterfall Tambunan (approx. 17 metres tall) nestled deep in the tropical forest of the Crocker Range. From the Mahua Park’s entrance, take an easy 15 minutes walk along the river to reach the falls which is a highlight in itself as it will delight any nature enthusiast with the sight of endless towering Seraya trees with huge trunks, giant bamboo trees and bird-nest ferns. Once at the falls, take a dip in it’s 1.3 metres deep natural pool.
Throughout the day you will be guided by our experienced and licensed English Speaking Guide, who will be more than happy to share his / her knowledge of each destination – making the Mahua Waterfall Tambunan a trip to remember!
Your Safety is Our Priority
Our expert guides are all trained in first aid and we carry comprehensive first aid kits for participants of this program.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 08:30 – Depart from Kota Kinabalu for Tambunan, approximately 1 hour overland
- 09:30 – Arrive at Butterfly Farm and Orchid Orchard for a visit.
- 10:45 – Depart to Gunung Alab
- 11:30 – Arrive at Gunung Alab and enjoy an early Lunch at a local restaurant and the scenery of the Crocker Range
- 12:30 – Continue Journey to Tambunan Rafflesia Conservation Centre
- 12:45 – Arrive at Centre, for an educational visit and should you be lucky find a Rafflesia in bloom
- 13:30 – Depart to Mahua Waterfall
- 14.15 – Arrive at Mahua for a short dip and photo opportunities
- 15:15 – Depart back to Kota Kinabalu
- 17:15 – Estimated time of arrival in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel transfers (KK City), Entrance and Conservation Fees for visits to Butterfly Farm, Orchid Nursery, Rafflesia Conservation Centre and Mahua Waterfall, English Speaking Guide, Lunch at Gunung Alab
Alcohol and Carbonated Drinks, Personal Expenses, Video or Camera Fees, Items not explicitly stated
Walking/Trekking Shoes, Leech Socks (available at Downbelow Dive Shop
) Camera, Insect Repellent, Sunscreen, Comfortable Clothes, Bottled Mineral Water, Personal Medicines, Waterproof Bag and Raincoat